from the Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook
A couple pleaser, as this entrée salad is hearty enough to satisfy, and light enough to enjoy, making everyone content with a salad supper. Visit Holly’s blog for more recipes.
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (brown)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons salsa Low-fat tortilla chips (optional)
- In small nonstick skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic until done, 5-7 minutes. Drain excess fat. Add cumin, rice and season to taste. Remove from heat, cool.
- In bowl, combine mixed greens, tomato, cheese, red onion, and rice mixture.
- In another bowl, mix sour cream and salsa. Toss with lettuce-rice mixture. Serve immediately, with extra salsa and chips, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 419 Calories from fat 21% Fat 10g Saturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 74mg Sodium 307mg Carbohydrate 47g Dietary Fiber 5g Sugars 7g Protein 35g Dietary Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
Spicy Advice: For leanest cuts of meat, look for those ending in ‘loin’ or ‘round’.