Picking the Perfect Pumpkin
Set yourself up for carving success by selecting a pumpkin in its prime.
- Choose one with an intact stem—the greener the better.
The stem of a pumpkin provides moisture and nutrients even after it’s been detached from the vine. Your pumpkin wont last as long if the stem is missing or already brown.
- Choose a pumpkin that feels firm and heavy for its size.
If a pumpkin feels light, then there is probably already internal rotting or damage to it.
- Flip the pumpkin over and press down on its bottom.
If it flexes or gives your pumpkin is not fresh.
- Look for soft spots, mold, wrinkles or open cuts
This is another indicator of damage or early spoilage.
- Place your pumpkin on a flat surface
Sometimes when you pick a pumpkin out of a batch, they appear to sit straight in the pile. You’ll want to be sure that it sits flat and not tilted.
- Keep your uncarved pumpkin out of direct sunlight and as cool as possible, and don’t carve it until right before your Halloween party or the big night itself.
CLICK HERE for more from Real Simple like how to CARVE the perfect jack-o-lantern!
Jodi’s Hollywood Outsiders
Disney’s Live-Action Lion King
HOW EXCITING! Disney announces that Jon Favreau will direct the live-action version of The Lion King! No release date yet, but Favreau did the live-action version of The Jungle Book earlier this year and it was amazing (and made Disney over $950 million worldwide!).
Click here for more on Disney’s big announcement.
Alec Baldwin Playing Donald Trump on SNL
The 42nd season of ‘Saturday Night Live’ kicks off this weekend and with that comes some new characters. One of the anticipated sketches will be a face off between Donald Trump (Alec Baldwin) and Hillary Clinton (Kate McKinnon).. Check it out.
Is Fergie Being Replaced in the Black Eyed Peas?
Nicole Scherzinger was seen going into a studio with Will.I.Am. BUT reports say that Fergie was in the studio as well. As it turns out, Fergie and Nicole are actually working on a duet together and that is the real reason for them both being in the studio. Don’t be fooled by the rumors. For more, CLICK HERE.
The Rolling Stones
The concert they filmed in Cuba is coming to DVD. It’s called “Havana Moon” and it will be released on November 11th. Check it out.
Pumpkin Cheesecake (it makes 2!)
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 prepared 8 inch pastry shells
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat together the cream cheese and the sugar, add the pumpkin and the spices. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add salt. Beat until creamy. Pour the batter evenly into the two crusts. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until the knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool then top with whipped topping, if desired.