Are you an emotional sponge? According to The Mind Unleashed, emotions such as fear, anger, frustration, and immobility are energies. And you can potentially ‘catch’ these energies from people without realizing it. If you tend to be an emotional sponge, it’s vital to know how to avoid taking on an individual’s negative emotions, or even how to deflect the free-floating negativities in crowds.
- Identify whether you’re susceptible. This is the person that one would call “sensitive.” It’s the person that truly absorbs the energy whether it is good or bad and allows it to overwhelm them.
- Seek the source. You must first recognize if these feelings are yours or someone else’s. By pin pointing the source, you can determine whether this is an issue to confront personally or not.
- Distance yourself from the suspected source, where possible. Walk away and see how you feel. Something as simple as a little distance may cause relief. Don’t let the fear of offending someone cause inconvenience for yourself.
- Center yourself by concentrating on your breath. Your breathing can help your peace of mind drastically. Inhale calm, positive thoughts and exhale the bad. Relieve yourself of any negativity you are holding on to.
- Flush out the harm. Negative emotions such as fear frequently lodge in your emotional center at the solar plexus (celiac plexus).
- Shield yourself. A handy form of protection many people use, including healers with trying patients, involves visualizing an envelope of white light (or any color you feel imparts power) around your entire body. Think of it as a shield that blocks out negativity or physical discomfort but allows what’s positive to filter in.
- Manage the emotional overload. You don’t need to be beholden to your ability to absorb other’s emotions; turn the curse into a gift by practicing strategies that can free you:
- Look for positive people and situations. Call a friend who sees the good in others. Spend time with a colleague who affirms the bright side of things. Listen to hopeful people. Hear the faith they have in themselves and others. Also relish hopeful words, songs, and art forms. Hope is contagious and it will lift your mood.
- Create and maintain a haven for disengagement. Leave many paths open that lead to communing with the resonance of nature. Returning to your rightful home as a creature of nature switches off your victim mentality and recharges you energetically and spiritually.
CLICK HERE for the full detailed list of how you can stop absorbing other people’s energy.